It’s been raining in our town for most of the week. I love the rain and it’s doing my garden the world of good, my washing pile, however, is looking to be taller than me.
This makes my bathroom look untidy and makes me sad, looking at this ever-increasing hill of dirty clothing and linen. With my one son potty training, I have had to find cheap, household remedies for urine smells on linen, bed and clothing.
I use a process of elmination start at the top and work your way down the list until the smell has gone…
Beds, Linen & other furniture
- Mop up excess urine and dry area as much as possible
- Clean area with a mixture of white vinegar, water and tea tree oil
- Let the area dry thoroughly, in direct sun if possible (works best for mattress and linen)
- Sprinkle area with bicarbonate soda and allow to sit for 24 hours
- Vacuum off the bicarb and the bed is really to be made
- Extra smelly touch – for a pleasant, calming smell, I crush dried lavender and rosemary leaves and sprinkle on with the bicarb
I found my boys clothing sometimes took 2 washes to eliminate the urine smell. I adjusted my methods and did the same as with the linen.
- Rinse off clothing with clean water
- Spray affected areas with a vinegar, water and tea tree solution
- Spin wet clothes in your washing machine – the dryer the clothes the better
- Allow to dry thoroughly
- Place clothes in a bucket with a mixture of bicarb and crushed lavender and rosemary leaves. Cover with a lid and leave to stand for 24 hours
- Shake off clothes and wash as normal
I know this sounds like a lot of work, I usually keep a separate bucket in our bathroom for these clothes. I fill the bucket with water and a few drops of tea tree oil. I then wash these clothes when the bucket is full, allowing me to wash a full load of clothes instead of only a few items.
As with all essential oils, please use reasonable caution and discontinue use if a reaction occurs.