We visited – our first visit to Lukhanysio School in Amalinda Forest, East London was an eye opener. This is the school where we will be piloting our school veggie garden project.
We found a school in need of so much, yet the children smiled and played as if they didn’t have a care in the world. We will put the final touches on the plan this week to hopeful break ground the second week in August.
After seeing the school, we not only want to help establish a veggie garden, we want to help to get the school into a better learning and teaching environment.
Items that were noted that needed attention:
- broken windows
- broken tables and chairs
- serious lack of tables and chairs
- shelving for library
- security gates and bars of all classrooms
- container needed for a computer lab for teachers and students
- proper kitchen facilities
- proper school hall / dining hall
- proper grass and playground equipment
- desks for teachers
- proper staff room
- high volume photocopiers and printer
- fax machine
- computers for teachers adminstration
- water tanks to provide drinking water
- signage for the school
- paint for the buildings
- educational materials for teachers and classrooms
- plastic plates for lunches
- metal spoons for lunches
- plastic cups with handles for soups and drinking
We would also want to provide each child at the school with a hygiene bag consisting of:
- 1 x face cloth
- 1 x toothbrush
- 1 x toothpaste
- 1 x soap
- 1 x draw string material bag with child’s name on
We want cleaning and hygiene to become a habit for these children to help prevent disease and spreading of colds and flu.
If anyone would like to help us with donations of equipment or you want to get down and dirty with us – your are most welcome!