Good News – We have some very good news today, our veggie garden proposal to Lukhanyo School in Amalinda Forrest, East London was approved and we had our first meeting this afternoon with the ladies from CANSA.
Here’s a short detail of what we hope to achieve and when we hope to have the items in place.
Our vision for the Growing Green Gardens concept is to assist communities, schools, etc to establish sustainable vegetable and fruit gardens to supplement their regular meals. We hope to educate the community about healthy food choices and provide access to fresh vegetables and fruit. Environmental responsibility, recycling and environmental care will be incorporated to create a garden that will feed, nurture and heal many.
Our mission for the project is to enable the community to continue producing and maintaining the garden without outside assistance. We aim to educate the community in such a way that only will they be able to feed the children of the school, they will have sufficient produce to help community members afflicted with Cansa and HIV.
Although Recycled Inc is driving the project forward, we are unable to complete our vision without the participation of Lukhanyo School, CANSA and the local community. We have identified areas where we need assistance and support as well as how we plan to implement the project.
Project Time Line for Activities
We would like the staff and pupils to be part of the project from the start, thus we would only start with the “ground” work once school re-opens after June/July FIFA 2010 holidays.
- Identify ground to be used for the garden
- Source initial requirements to start with the general preparations in July
- Plan and schedule garden and planting times
- Develop education programme to supplement planting activities
- Develop education programme for recycling education
- Devise health and other information session plans to assist with co-ordination
- Erect garden boundary fences and gate
- Prepare soil with necessary compost, water, stakes and stepping stones
- Install rain water collection tanks with gutters
- Start planting seasonal vegetables and fruit with educational programme
* Although every effort will be made to remain on schedule, as the nature of donations and sponsorship is erratic and economically dependent, we can only estimate the above-mentioned timeline.